Now that there is a rising number of reports about jellyfish stings, beach-goers are advised to be aware of their surroundings because being stung by a jellyfish is not a really nice feeling – not to mention the fact that you are supposed to urinate on the affected area to control the swelling.
It is true that these swarms of jellyfish are a real eye candy no matter how you look at it. That is why a lot of people get stung a lot. It may look soft, squishy and colorful, but the truth of the matter is that they are dangerous. In fact, some jellyfish are considered to be toxic or worse – poisonous!
As far as the safety of the beach-goers is concerned, jellyfish stings are fairly common especially during months like these. What most people have not figured out till today is the fact that jellyfish are not to be played with –some possess poisonous elements that can instantly kill you in a matter of minutes, so do not try to be brave with friends by touching these colorful sea creatures.
If you are stung by a jellyfish, it is important to contact the designated life guard and have him check it for your safety. If you are unaware of the type of jellyfish that has stung you, it is advisable to go to the nearest medical facility to get diagnosed and treated as soon as possible.
Daily News Miami