A Turkish court has detained well-known journalist Sedef Kabas for allegedly insulting the country’s president.
Ms Kabas was arrested on Saturday in Istanbul and a court ordered her to be jailed ahead of a trial.
She is accused of targeting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with a proverb which she quoted on live television on an opposition-linked TV channel. She denies the charge.
The charge carries a prison sentence of between one and four years.
“There is a very famous proverb that says that a crowned head becomes wiser. But we see it is not true,” she said on the Tele1 channel. “A bull does not become king just by entering the palace, but the palace becomes a barn.”
- Sedef Kabas: Turkish journalist jailed for reciting proverb BBC News
- Turkish journalist arrested on charge of insulting Erdogan -CNN Turk Reuters
- Turkish Journalist Is Arrested for Insulting Erdogan: Anadolu Bloomberg
- Turkey: prominent journalist detained for insulting president Erdoğan The Guardian
- View Full Coverage on Google News